DOLPHINS QB TUA TAGOVAILOA, CHIEFS CB JAYLEN WATSON &
JETS P BRADEN MANN NAMED AFC PLAYERS OF WEEK 2
Quarterback TUA TAGOVAILOA of the Miami Dolphins, cornerback JAYLEN WATSON of the Kansas City Chiefs and punter BRADEN MANN of the New York Jets are the AFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Week for games played in Week 2 of the 2022 season (September 15, 18-19).
OFFENSE: QB TUA TAGOVAILOA, MIAMI DOLPHINS
- Tagovailoa completed 36 of 50 attempts (72 percent) and set career highs in passing yards (469), touchdown passes (six) and passer rating (124.1) in leading the Dolphins from a 21-point fourth-quarter deficit to defeat Baltimore in Week 2. At 24 years and 200 days old, he became the third-youngest player in NFL history with six touchdown passes in a single game.
- This is the first-career Offensive Player of the Week award for Tagovailoa and he is the first Dolphins quarterback to earn the honor since Week 16 of the 2019 season (Ryan Fitzpatrick).
- Tagovailoa joins Jeff Rutledge (Week 9, 1990) as the only former Crimson Tide quarterbacks to earn Offensive Player of the Week
DEFENSE: CB JAYLEN WATSON, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
- Watson registered a 99-yard interception return for a touchdown in the fourth quarter of the Chiefs’ Week 2 win over the Los Angeles Chargers, the longest go-ahead fourth-quarter touchdown scored by a rookie in NFL history.
- This is Watson’s first career Defensive Player of the Week award and he joins Marcus Peters (three times) and Mike Hughes as Chiefs cornerbacks to earn the honor in the past 10 seasons.
- Watson is the fourth former Washington State defensive back to earn Defensive Player of the Week honors, joining James Hasty (Week 7, 1999), Marcus Trufant (Week 14, 2007) and Brian Walker (Week 11, 2000).
SPECIAL TEAMS: P BRADEN MANN, NEW YORK JETS
- Mann executed the first successful onside kick of the season with 1:20 remaining as the New York Jets overcame a 13-point deficit inside the final two minutes to defeat Cleveland in Week 2. He also converted a fake punt attempt in the first quarter with a 17-yard completion in addition to four punts, two of which he placed inside the 20-yard line.
- This is Mann’s first-career Special Teams Player of the Week award and he becomes the third Jets punter to earn the honor, joining Ryan Quigley (Week 9, 2015) and Tom Tupa (Week 7, 2001).
- Mann joins Shane Lechler (four times) and Drew Kaser as former Texas A&M punters to earn Special Teams Player of the Week honors.
2022 AFC PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
|Wk 1Wk 2||QB Patrick Mahomes, Kansas CityQB Tua Tagovailoa, Miami||S Minkah Fitzpatrick, PittsburghCB Jaylen Watson, Kansas City||K Cade York, ClevelandP Braden Mann, N.Y. Jet|