BILLS QB JOSH ALLEN, PATRIOTS LB MATTHEW JUDON &
COLTS K CHASE MCLAUGHLIN NAMED AFC PLAYERS OF WEEK 5
Quarterback JOSH ALLEN of the Buffalo Bills, linebacker MATTHEW JUDON of the New England and kicker CHASE MCLAUGHLIN of the Indianapolis Colts are the AFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Week for games played in Week 5 (October 6, 9-10).
OFFENSE: QB JOSH ALLEN, BUFFALO BILLS
- Allen completed 20 of 31 pass attempts (64.5 percent) for 424 yards and four touchdowns for a 134.1 rating in Buffalo’s 38-3 victory over Pittsburgh. Allen also added 42 rushing yards on five attempts. His 424 passing yards were the second-most by a quarterback in a game this season and his 134.1 rating was the highest by an AFC quarterback in Week 5.
- This is the eighth-career Offensive Player of the Week award for Allen and first this season:
- 2018: Week 17
- 2019: Week 11
- 2020: Weeks 2, 9, 13, 15
- 2021: Week 3
- 2022: Week 5
- Allen trails only Pro Football Hall of Famer Jim Kelly (10-time winner) for the most Offensive Player of the Week awards by a Buffalo quarterback.
- Since 2018, Allen’s eight Player of the Week awards are tied with Lamar Jackson for the second-most by a quarterback. Only Patrick Mahomes (nine) has more.
DEFENSE: LB MATTHEW JUDON, NEW ENGLAND
- Judon recorded three tackles, two sacks, a tackle for loss and a forced fumble in New England’s 29-0 shutout victory over Detroit. Judon is the only player in the league with a sack in each of the first five weeks of the season.
- This marks the second Defensive Player of the Week award for Judon (Week 11, 2017 with Baltimore).
- He becomes the first Patriots linebacker to win the award since Kyle Van Noy (Week 4, 2019).
SPECIAL TEAMS: K CHASE MCLAUGHLIN, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
- McLaughlin converted all four his field goal attempts in Indianapolis’ 12-9 overtime victory over Denver on Thursday Night Football. He connected from 52, 51, 31 and 48 yards, the last of which sealed the Colts’ victory.
- This is the first-career Player of the Week award for McLaughlin and he joins Neil Rackers (three-time winner) as the only former Illinois kickers to ever earn the honor.
- McLaughlin is the sixth-ever Colts kicker to win the award, joining Dan Biasucci (two-time winner), Cary Blanchard (three-time winner), Rodrigo Blankenship (one-time winner), Mike Vanderjagt (five-time winner) and Adam Vinatieri (11-time winner).
2022 AFC PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
|Wk 1Wk 2Wk 3Wk 4Wk 5||QB Patrick Mahomes, Kansas CityQB Tua Tagovailoa, MiamiQB Trevor Lawrence, JacksonvilleQB Patrick Mahomes, Kansas CityQB Josh Allen, Buffalo||S Minkah Fitzpatrick, PittsburghCB Jaylen Watson, Kansas CityDE Trey Hendrickson, CincinnatiS Jordan Poyer, BuffaloLB Matthew Judon, New England||K Cade York, ClevelandP Braden Mann, N.Y. JetsP Corliss Waitman, Denver K Evan McPherson, CincinnatiK Chase McLaughlin, Indianapolis|