BENGALS RB JOE MIXON, BRONCOS CB PAT SURTAIN II &
RAIDERS K DANIEL CARLSON NAMED AFC PLAYERS OF WEEK 12
Running back JOE MIXON of the Cincinnati Bengals, cornerback PAT SURTAIN II of the Denver Broncos and kicker DANIEL CARLSON of the Las Vegas Raiders are the AFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Week for games played in Week 12 (November 25, 28-29).
OFFENSE: RB JOE MIXON, CINCINNATI BENGALS
- Mixon rushed for a career-high 165 yards on 28 attempts (5.9 average) and two touchdowns in Cincinnati’s 41-10 win over the Steelers. His 165 rushing yards led all players in Week 12 and are the fourth-most of any AFC player in a single game this season.
- He is the first player to rush for two touchdowns in four consecutive games within a single season since 2006 (Steven Jackson).
- This is the second Offensive Player of the Week award for Mixon (Week 4, 2020) and he becomes the third Bengal to receive the honor this season, joining quarterback Joe Burrow (Week 4) and wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase (Week 7).
- He joins Adrian Peterson (nine) as the only Oklahoma running backs to win the award multiple times.
DEFENSE: CB PAT SURTAIN II, DENVER BRONCOS
- Surtain recorded five tackles and two interceptions, including a 70-yard interception return for a touchdown, in Denver’s 28-13 win over the Chargers. He is the only rookie this season to record two interceptions and an interception return for a touchdown in a single game this season.
- This is the first Defensive Player of the Week award for Surtain and he is the first Denver player to earn the award since Kareem Jackson (Week 14, 2019).
- Surtain is the fourth Broncos rookie to ever win the award, joining Dre’Mont Jones (Week 16, 2019), Von Miller (Week 11, 2011) and D.J. Williams (Week 16, 2004).
- Surtain joins Dallas’ Trevon Diggs (Week 4) and the New York Giants’ Xavier McKinney (Week 9) as former Alabama defensive backs to earn the honor this season.
SPECIAL TEAMS: K DANIEL CARLSON, LAS VEGAS RAIDERS
- Carlson totaled 18 points, connecting all five field goals (22, 46, 30, 56 and 29 yards) and all three point after attempts. His final field goal clinched an overtime victory for the Raiders on Thanksgiving.
- He is the second AFC kicker to make five field goals in a single game this season.
- This is the second Special Teams Player of the Week award for Carlson this season (Week 2) and the fourth of his career (Week 11, 2018 and Week 1, 2020). He is the second Raiders player to earn the award at least four times, joining Sebastian Janikowski (seven).
- Carlson’s four Special Teams Player of the Week awards are the most among former Auburn players.
2021 AFC PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
|Wk 1||QB Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City||DE Maxx Crosby, Las Vegas||K Evan McPherson, Cincinnati|
|Wk 2||RB Derrick Henry, Tennessee||LB Odafe Oweh, Baltimore||K Daniel Carlson, Las Vegas|
|Wk 3||QB Josh Allen, Buffalo||DE Myles Garrett, Cleveland||K Justin Tucker, Baltimore|
|Wk 4||QB Joe Burrow, Cincinnati||LB Tremaine Edmunds, Buffalo||P Rigoberto Sanchez, Indianapolis|
|Wk 5||QB Lamar Jackson, Baltimore||DE Greg Rousseau, Buffalo||K Nick Folk, New England|
|Wk 6||RB Derrick Henry, Tennessee||LB T.J. Watt, Pittsburgh||K Matthew Wright, Jacksonville|
|Wk 7||WR Ja’Marr Chase, Cincinnati||DE Yannick Ngakoue, Las Vegas||P Rigoberto Sanchez, Indianapolis|
|Wk 8||QB Mike White, N.Y. Jets||DB Adrian Phillips, New England||K Randy Bullock, Tennessee|
|Wk 9Wk 10Wk 11Wk 12||QB Justin Herbert, L.A. ChargersQB Patrick Mahomes, Kansas CityRB Jonathan Taylor, IndianapolisRB Joe Mixon, Cincinnati||DE/LB Josh Allen, JacksonvilleCB Xavien Howard, MiamiDT Chris Jones, Kansas CityCB Pat Surtain II, Denver||P Tommy Townsend, Kansas CityLB E.J. Speed, IndianapolisK Evan McPherson, CincinnatiK Daniel Carlson, Las Vegas|