CHIEFS QB PATRICK MAHOMES, DOLPHINS LB JEROME BAKER & BENGALS
K EVAN MCPHERSON NAMED AFC PLAYERS OF THE MONTH FOR DECEMBER
Quarterback PATRICK MAHOMES of the Kansas City Chiefs, linebacker JEROME BAKER of the Miami Dolphins and kicker EVAN MCPHERSON of the Cincinnati Bengals are the AFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Month for the month of December (Weeks 13-16).
OFFENSE: QB PATRICK MAHOMES, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
- Mahomes completed 89 of 130 pass attempts (68.5 percent) for 1,110 yards with eight touchdown passes for a 108.8 rating during the month of December, leading the Chiefs to a 4-0 record – the only AFC team to do so. He also recorded 64 rushing yards and a rushing touchdown.
- Mahomes wins his fourth Offensive Player of the Month, the most by a Chiefs player all-time.
- 2018: September
- 2019: September
- 2020: November
- 2021: December
- Mahomes is the only quarterback to earn a Player of the Month award in each of the past four seasons and is one of three active quarterbacks with at least four career Offensive Player of the Month awards, joining Tom Brady (11) and Aaron Rodgers (10).
DEFENSE: LB JEROME BAKER, MIAMI DOLPHINS
- Baker totaled 16 tackles, six tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks over the last month. Baker was the only AFC player with two tackles for loss in three games during the month of December as the Dolphins allowed the fewest yards per game (214) from Weeks 13-16.
- This is the first Defensive Player of the Month award for Baker and he is the first Dolphins player to earn the award since Cameron Wake (October, 2012). A Dolphins player has been selected for this honor 13 times, tied with the Bills and Chiefs for the most among AFC teams.
- It marks the third consecutive season that a former Ohio State player has earned a Defensive Player of the Month award [San Francisco defensive lineman Nick Bosa (October, 2019); Washington defensive end Chase Young (December, 2020)].
SPECIAL TEAMS: K EVAN MCPHERSON, CINCINNATI BENGALS
- McPherson converted 9 of 11 field goals as well as connected on 8 of 9 point after attempts for 35 points in December, tied for the most among kickers in the AFC.
- McPherson converted two 50-yard field goals during December and leads the NFL with nine such field goals on the season, the second-most all-time by a rookie kicker, trailing only Blair Walsh (10 50-yard field goals in 2012).
- This is the first Special Teams Player of the Month award for McPherson and he becomes the first rookie kicker since Harrison Butker (October and December, 2017) to win the award.
2021 AFC PLAYERS OF THE MONTH
|September||QB Derek Carr, Las Vegas||LB Von Miller, Denver||WR Jamal Agnew, Jacksonville|
|October||RB Jonathan Taylor, Indianapolis||S Kevin Byard, Tennessee||K Tyler Bass, Buffalo|
|NovemberDecember||RB Jonathan Taylor, IndianapolisQB Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City||DB J.C. Jackson, New EnglandLB Jerome Baker, Miami||P Tommy Townsend, Kansas CityK Evan McPherson, Cincinnati|